Am I a Soldier of the Cross

"Am I a soldier of the cross, a follower of the Lamb? And shall I fear to own His cause, or blush to speak His name?" Isaac Watts posed these questions to believers almost 350 years ago. The same questions must be asked today. We are in a war. God has called us to fight for the hearts and souls of men. I pray that what is said here will prove to be an encouragement and a challenge to every believer who visits this site. Let our cry be the last verse of the old song. "Sure I must fight if I would reign- increase my courage Lord! I'll bear the toil, endure the pain, supported by Thy Word!"


Friday, March 9, 2012

The Way

     For the past couple posts, we have been looking at why we as Christians have an obligation to witness, but I want to divert for a moment and share something that I came across in my Bible study a couple of days ago.
     I have just recently begun the process of studying through the book of Hebrews. Chapter 1 verse 3 says, speaking of Christ,
     "3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the majesty on high;"
     I was studying out that first phrase "who being the brightness of his glory...", and I was reminded of the familiar account in Exodus 33 when Moses asks to see God's glory. The account covers a pretty hefty chunk of verses, so I would encourage you to take a couple minutes and read Exodus 33:7-23. In verse 18, Moses makes the now-famous request, "Shew me thy glory." In verses 21-23, God assents to Moses' request with certain limitations (i.e. Moses was only allowed to see God's back). However, this account comes into conflict with John 1:18, in which the apostle states
     "18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."
     If we truly believe that the Bible is inerrant, then reconciliation between the Exodus 33 account and John 1:18 must exist. It is believed that Moses saw was not God the Father, but was actually the incarnate Christ. The fifty cent theological word for such an appearance is a "theophany". Charles Ryrie defines "theophany" as a "self-manifestation of God." There are several other such occurences throughout the Old Testament (Genesis 16:7-13; 18:1-33; Judges 6:11-23; 13:3-21)
     However, as I reading this passage in Exodus, I came across something that I never seen before. Earlier in the passage, before Moses' request to see God's glory, he actually makes another request. Before he said, "Shew me thy glory", Moses said in verse 13, "If I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee..." In the next few verses, God says that He will grant Moses' request. Then Moses asks to see God's glory, and God describes the manner in which the request will be granted.
     It is very possible that I am the only one who had never noticed this before, but look at Moses' original request and God's answer. Moses says "Shew me now thy way," and God reveals Christ.
     Remember the famous dialogue between Christ and His disciple, Thomas, in John 14?
     "1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
       2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
       3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also
       4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
At this point Thomas interjects and asks the famous question.
       5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
As Christ hears the sincere question of His disciple, I can just imagine a smile play across Christ's lips as He remembers another follower, thousands of years before, who also wished for God to show the way. As He turns and looks at Thomas with the eyes that Moses was forbidden to see, fully revealed and in the middle of enacting God's plan of salvation, Christ says, "Thomas, I am the way, the truth and the life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me." Christ was the answer in Moses' time, He was the answer in Thomas time, and He is still the answer today. From the time of man's fall to the Millenial kingdom, Christ is the Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment